Benjamin H. Bratton's work spans Philosophy, Art, Design and Computer Science. He is Professor of Visual Arts and Director of the Center for Design and Geopolitics at the University of California, San Diego. He is Program Director of The New Normal programme at Strelka Institute of Media, Architecture and Design in Moscow. He is also a Professor of Digital Design at The European Graduate School and Visiting Faculty at SCI_Arc (The Southern California Institute of Architecture)
In The Stack: On Software and Sovereignty (MIT Press, 2016. 503 pages) Bratton outlines a new geopolitical theory for the age of global computation and algorithmic governance. He proposes that different genres of planetary scale computation --Earth layer, Cloud layer, City layer, Address layer, Interface layer, User layer-- can be seen not as so many species evolving on their own, but as forming a coherent whole: an accidental megastructure that is both a computational infrastructure and a new governing architecture. The book plots an expansive interdisciplinary design brief for The Stack-to-Come. See thestack.org Table of Contents Amazon
The New Normal is a speculative urbanism think-tank investigating alternative urban conditions and futuriites. The programme focuses on research and design for the city and explores the opportunities posed by emerging technologies and geopolitical shifts for interdisciplinary design practices. It is a platform for the modeling of new discourses and the articulation of new models. The work is based on research on mulitple themes: platform aesthetics, emergent economics, human-exclusion zones, alphavilles, algorithmic governance, pattern recognition, inverse uncanny valleys, synthetic sensing, etc. The three year initiative of Strelka Institute in Moscow runs from 2016-19. Strelka Press titles. The New Normal programme book. Projects and Research.
Dispute Plan to Prevent Future Luxury Constitution (e-flux/ Sternberg Press, 2015. 196 pages) is a collection of short fictions on architecture and political violence. The book weaves fact and fiction to dramatize the symmetries and complicities between designed violence and the violence of design: their plots, schemes, utopias and dystopias. See dppflc.io Table of Contents Amazon
His current research project, Theory and Design in the Age of Machine Intelligence, is on the unexpected and uncomfortable design challenges posed by A.I in various guises: from machine vision to synthetic cognition and sensation, and the macroeconomics of robotics to everyday geoengineering.
* "On Hemispherical Stacks" Digital Earth, Ashkal Alwan, Beirut. April 20, 2019.
* "AI Urbanism" with Google Artists + Machine Intelligence, The New Normal, Strelka Institute, Moscow. April 29-May 2, 2019.
* Research trip on robotics and human-exclusion zones with The New Normal, Tokyo and Fukushima, Japan. May 7-16, 2019.
* Lecture at IHA Gallery, Tokyo. May 15, 2019.
* Writing break, La Jolla, Ca. May 17-May 27, 2019.
* Keynote lecture, Human Entities, Lisbon. May 30, 2019.
* Gulf Stack, Vertical Atlas, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. June, 6-7, 2019.
* Public interview with Armen Avanessian, Berlin. June 8, 2019.
* "Mechanisms of Surveillance" Panel (with Trevor Paglen, Julieta Aranda) Art Basel. Switzerland. June 13, 2019.
* Seminar,"Supernaut" European Graduate School. Sass-Fee, Switzerland. June 18-22nd, 2019.
* Final Projects Review. The New Normal Year 3. Strelka Institute. Moscow. June 26-27, 2019.
* Public event, TBA. Strelka Institute, Moscow. June 28, 2019.
* Seminar, EDGE post-graduate program, SCI_Arc, Los Angeles. May 13-August 9, 2019.
* Writing break, La Jolla, CA. June 30-August 26, 2019.
* New program launch event, Strelka Institute, Moscow. August 26, 2019.
* TBA, NYU Shanghai. August 28-September 14, 2019.
* Seminar, EDGE post-graduate program, SCI_Arc, Los Angeles. Fall 2019.
* Seminar, "The Artificial: Programming and Planetarity" Dept. of Visual Arts, University of California, San Diego. Fall 2019.
Recent and Selected Videos
"Conversation with Bruce Sterling"
"Interview: On The Stack" SCI-Arc Channel
"The Stack We Have, The Stack To Come"
"We Need to Talk About TED"
"The Black Stack"
"A.I. and Cities: Platform Design, Algorithmic Reason and Urban Geopolitics"
"The Politics of Platform Technologies"
"The Sprawl"(by Metahaven)
Selected Recent Articles, Interviews, etc.
* Further Trace Effects of the Post-Anthropocene in AD: Machine Landscapes: Architectures of the Post-Anthropocene, ed. Liam Young (PDF)
* On Anthropolysis in Superhumanity: Design of the Self, ed. Axel, Colomina, Hirsch, Vidolke, Wigley.
* Hemispherical Stacks: On Multipolar Geopolitics and Planetary-Scale Computation "As We May Think, Feedforward" catalogue, 6th Guangzhou Triennial.
* So Heavy Grasshoppers: Allochthonous Notes on Populism in Para-Platforms: On the Spatial Politics of Right-Wing Populism, ed. Markus Miessen, Zoë Ritts.
* Music for Car Alarms: 1998-2008 Tank Magazine.
* The City Wears Us: Notes on the Scope of Distributed Sensing and Sensation The Glass Bead journal.
* Another Matter: On Worldeating in Being Material, ed. Boucher, Helmreich, Kinney, Tibbits, Uchill, Ziporyn (forthcoming).
* Can the Bot Speak? The Paranoid Voice in Conversational UI in Accross & Beyond: A Transmediale Reader, ed. Bishop, Gansing, Parikka, Wilk.
* For You/ Not For You: On Representation and Machine Vision in Size Matters! (De)Growth of the 21st Century Art Museum, ed. Beatrix Ruf, John Slyce.
* 2018: The Year According to Benjamin H. Bratton Walker Art Center.
* The Wandering Scales of Machine and Idea in On Air: Tomás Seraceno, catalogue, Palais de Tokyo.
* Geographies of Sensitive Matter: On Artificial Intelligence at Urban Scale in New Geographies: Posthuman. (PDF)
* Bad Mood: On Design and Empathy AD: Evoking Through Design, ed. Matias del Campo. (PDF)
* Automation in The Stack in Volume: Hello World.
* Notes on Extinction in Extinctly, Serpentine Galleries.
* On Speculative Design dis magazine/ The Time Complex: Postcontemporary
* Outing A.I.: Beyond the Turing Test (New York Times) Expanded version in Alleys of Your Mind: Artificial Intelligence and its Traumas (PDF)
* Paranoids on Android (On Google's Deep Dream) TANK Magazine
* The Black Stack e-flux journal
* The Stack and the Post-Human User: Interview Het Nieuwe Institut, Rotterdam
* Machine Vision: Interview dis magazine
* The Role of Megastructure in the Eschatology of John Frum: On OMA's Master Plan for the Spratly Islands e-flux journal