Benjamin H. Bratton's work spans Philosophy, Art, Design and Computer Science. He is Professor of Visual Arts and Director of the Center for Design and Geopolitics at the University of California, San Diego. He is Program Director of The New Normal programme at Strelka Institute of Media, Architecture and Design in Moscow. He is also a Professor of Digital Design at The European Graduate School and Visiting Faculty at SCI_Arc (The Southern California Institute of Architecture)
In The Stack: On Software and Sovereignty (MIT Press, 2016. 503 pages) Bratton outlines a new theory for the age of global computation and algorithmic governance. He proposes that different genres of planetary scale computation -smart grids, cloud platforms, mobile apps, smart cities, the Internet of Things, automation- can be seen not as so many species evolving on their own, but as forming a coherent whole: an accidental megastructure that is both a computational infrastructure and a new governing architecture. The book plots an expansive interdisciplinary design brief for The Stack-to-Come. See thestack.org Table of Contents Amazon
Dispute Plan to Prevent Future Luxury Constitution (e-flux/ Sternberg Press, 2015. 196 pages) is a collection of short fictions on architecture and political violence. The book weaves fact and fiction to dramatize the symmetries and complicities between designed violence and the violence of design: their plots, schemes, utopias and dystopias. See dppflc.io Table of Contents Amazon
His current research project, Theory and Design in the Age of Machine Intelligence, is on the unexpected and uncomfortable design challenges posed by A.I in various guises: from machine vision to synthetic cognition and sensation, and the macroeconomics of robotics to everyday geoengineering.
Upcoming and Recent Talks
* "Blockchain: Utopia or U-Turn" conference, Onassis Cultural Center, Athens. February 10, 2019.
* Japan tour, December 25, 2018-Jan 3, 2019.
* Moscow on-site at Strelka Institute, November 25-December 3, 2018.
* "AI and Belief" Conference Keynote, Dubai, UAE. November 12, 2018
* Sawyer Seminar, New School/Parsons, New York. October 24, 2018.
* Vertical Atlas, Het Nieuwe Institut, Rotterdam, NL. September 20, 2018
* Fall lecture series, University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture. September 17, 2018.
* Strelka Institute. The New Normal Year Three promotional tour. Stockholm, Athens, Tbilisi, Moscow. September 3-10, 2018.
* The Floating University/ Projekt Bauhuas, Seminar/ Keynote, Berlin. September 1-2, 2018.
* "Inhumanism" Trust Space, Berlin. August 30, 2018.
* "We Have Always Been Posthuman" Strelka Institute, Moscow. August 27, 2018.
* European Graduate School, Saas-Fee, Switzerland. June 27-30, 2018.
* Venice Architecture Biennale, May 24-27, 2018.
* Three talks in London in early May: "Alphaville" Bartlett School of Architecture, University of London; May 2, "The Deep" Goldsmiths, University of London; May 3, and "The Whole Age of Computer Has Made it Where Nobody Knows Exactly What's Going On" at Institue for Contemporary Art: ICA, May 4. All at 18:30. Info here
Recent and Selected Videos
"Conversation with Bruce Sterling"
"Interview: On The Stack" SCI-Arc Channel
"The Stack We Have, The Stack To Come"
"We Need to Talk About TED"
"The Black Stack"
"A.I. and Cities: Platform Design, Algorithmic Reason and Urban Geopolitics"
"The Politics of Platform Technologies"
"The Sprawl"(by Metahaven)
Selected Recent Articles, Interviews, etc.
On Speculative Design dis magazine/ The Time Complex: Postcontemporary
Outing A.I.: Beyond the Turing Test (New York Times) Expanded version in Alleys of Your Mind: Artificial Intelligence and its Traumas (PDF)
Paranoids on Android (On Google's Deep Dream) TANK Magazine
The Black Stack e-flux journal
The Stack and the Post-Human User: Interview Het Nieuwe Institut, Rotterdam
Machine Vision: Interview dis magazine
The Role of Megastructure in the Eschatology of John Frum: On OMA's Master Plan for the Spratly Islands e-flux journal